Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Skinny Pumpkin Cake

So I told you I wouldn't post a lot of recipes and look at me now, one of the first things I've got for you is a recipe.
I'm not a baker, but something about October/November just really brings out  an inner Ina in me and I literally just get the urge during the autumn time.... my idea of baking the rest of the year is rice crispies and Betty Crocker... if that.

I'm also not the type of baker who can tell you how many calories is in this cake, how fattening it is (though I know it's pretty low based on the ingredients I used), or how many carbs there are... in fact, I don't really even understand the whole carb thing... I literally think everything is a carb (am I right?) . I do know bread is carbs... but ice-cream probably is too, huh? ... cause they're both glorious.

But my husband and I eat fairly healthy, we don't eat processed sugar and we stay away from red meats, and dairy sometimes too, cause of allergies, but did I mention ice-cream is glorious, so yeah no, we sometimes bend on the dairy rule.
So a lot of times I'll switch up recipes to make them healthier, remove refined sugar or bad oils to substitute for good ones.

I kept looking for a skinny pumpkin recipe but they were all really complicated and like I said I'm  not a baker, so I used my favorite skinny banana bread recipe and switched a few things around and now this is my new favorite.





You'll need:

- 1 Can pumpkin pure (not the pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- a good few dashes of Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, do what feels right... is kinda of my really negligent motto for baking... that doesn't always work out for me, haha.
- 1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
- 3/4 cups honey or agave nectar
- 2 eggs
- tsp vanilla

In large bowl combine all the dry ingredients, mix and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients and mix well.
Stir the dry and wet ingredients together till well blended and spray into a loaf pan (I obviously didn't have one so I used a cake pan instead).

Now here's the tricky part for me, it might be different for you, but my oven is from Egypt and though I'm ever so thankful for it, it's kinda crap and spreads heat unevenly, so I need to always watch my baked goods, sometimes cook them wayyyyy longer then a recipe calls for and at way lower temperatures.
I'd suggest baking it at around  175 c (that's 350 f), for about 60-65 minutes, but keep an eye on it. I cooked mine at a lower temperature but again,  my oven has a mind of its own. But you'll want the loaf to cook till you can stick a toothpick in the middle and it comes out dry.

And there you go, holidays on a plate. Hope you love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment